Happy Presidents Day Weekend Everyone! This weekend is extremely special for me because it’s my birthday! Perfect, right? Every year my birthday is usually on a three-day weekend because it’s right around Presidents’ Day, which means I get 3 days to celebrate! I know many of you just want to kick back and enjoy the long weekend, workless, busy-less, kidless…ahhh if only. I’ve got good news for you! I figured why not spread the birthday love? So, this healthy vegan, naturally sweetened, sugar free, and flourless cake I made for my birthday can now be enjoyed by you guys too!
With my birthday coming up, I faced a dilemma: What do I do for my cake? As many of you may know by now, I’m a healthy eater and creator. That means I prefer making and eating healthy, fresh, natural foods! Call me crazy, but the thought of birthday cake really doesn’t appeal much to me. I know, I know I’m the definition of insanity! But there was one thing I didn’t want to miss out on, which was obviously the tradition! Every “ideal” birthday celebration involves the whole family sitting around a table with a cake smack dab in the center. So, why not make a cake everyone will enjoy, but also have it be healthy?
My initial thought was to find a quick, easy recipe online – seems simple enough, right? Wrong! Do you know how hard it is to find a healthy cake made without any sweeteners? Of course there were plenty of so called “healthy” cakes, but all of them used artificial sweeteners, and at best a cup of honey or maple syrup! Confused but motivated, I set out on a mission to create the ultimate healthy cake for my birthday!
This cake is naturally sweetened, meaning it has no bad ingredients (yay)! That’s right, only the best stuff is packed in here! A lot of its sweetness is derived from the sweet potato, which is loaded with fiber, vitamins, protein, and nutrients! I just had to include sweet potato and avocado in this recipe, because they’re literally my two favorite foods! They’re perfect for baking substitutes, they’re comforting, creamy, satisfying, and delicious! I’ve used these ingredients in my Baked Sweet Potato Falafel, Vegan Winter Goodness Bowl, Sweet Potato Gnocchi, and Vegan Sugar Free Avocado Brownies – feel free to check them out! 🙂
I feel like we all have that one birthday cake that outshines all the others! Whether it was for looks, taste, or both – there’s definitely one that stands out. Mine was undoubtedly my 12th birthday cake! I have a twin brother, which means whatever cake he gets, I get, and vice versa. This usually makes birthday cakes a struggle, because although we’re both in the same family, It’s almost impossible to find a birthday cake design that interests both of us. At that time, the Chicago Blackhawks had just won the Stanley Cup, turning Chicago into a crazy hockey city. We hopped right on that celebration train, and were obsessed with the Blackhawks. It only made sense for us to pour that hockey craze into our birthday cake! My mom reached out to a neighbor who baked and designed this amazing hockey jersey cake! When we saw it, our eyes nearly popped out of our heads we were so excited!
This cake reminds me so much of my avocado brownies because it’s so rich and fudgey, but the frosting gives it a creamy, fresh taste! In fact, you could even use this frosting on top of my brownies (although I’m a big fan of heating them up and topping them with almond butter) 🙂 Each slice of cake would taste delicious paired with ice cream, or just on its own!
Make this weekend a you-weekend and just relax! Sit back on your couch and enjoy a nice, chocolatey, guilt-free slice of cake! After all, we all deserve to treat ourselves! Please let me know what you think of this recipe, and email me if you have any suggestions or questions – I’d love to hear from you! If you make this delicious Vegan Sugar Free Sweet Potato Cake, please tag me in a photo on instagram @myplantedplate or email me at email@example.com! I’ll make sure to share your photos in my next weekly newsletter (which you can subscribe to by clicking the button that says: “Click Here to be Updated with Every New Post!” On the top and bottom of this page – you don’t want to miss out)! 🙂 Have your cake and eat it too!
Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake
Yield 12 Slices
What? Naturally sweetened vegan cake...and it's delicious?! That's right! This chocolatey sweet potato cake is made using all natural ingredients, which means no sugars or sweeteners! It's gluten free, egg-free, and dairy-free as well, and packed with protein and vitamins! This fudgy, moist cake is sure to put a smile on everyone's face!
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (1 medium banana)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 flax egg (stir 1 tbsp flax seeds into 3 tbsp water, and let sit for about five minutes)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For frosting (Optional)
- 2 avocados
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 mashed banana (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a blender, pulse the rolled oats into a flour. Set aside. Create the flax egg by combining 3 tbsp water with 1 tbsp flax seeds in a small bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the rolled oat flour, cacao powder, baking powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside. In a blender, puree the sweet potato with the banana until it reaches a silky consistency. You may need to add a little bit of water!
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients (sweet potato-banana puree, almond milk, avocado, flax egg, and vanilla) in a medium bowl. Pour the dry ingredients into this mixture and stir until well combined.
- Line and 8 inch cake tin with parchment paper on the bottom (pictured above). Pour the batter into the cake tin, and place in the oven for 40 minutes - or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, combine the frosting ingredients in a bowl, and spread onto the cake when it comes out! Top with coconut flakes, bananas, cacao nibs, and more!
- You don't have to line the cake tin with parchment paper - you can just use cooking spray if you'd like! But parchment paper is super easy and quick to do (not to mention oil-free) and you only need to put it on the base of the tin 🙂
- Nutritional information is without the frosting
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5.6 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
Sodium 49 mg
Total Carbohydrates 22.3 g
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.